News

Savannah Guthrie makes an emotional plea to her mother’s kidnappers

Savannah Guthrie makes an emotional plea to her mother’s kidnappers

FILE - Savannah Guthrie visits the Today show at Rockefeller Plaza in New York, March 5, 2026. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File) Photo: Associated Press


By The Associated Press undefined
“Today” show host Savannah Guthrie says in a new video that her family is living an unending nightmare nearly six months after her mother’s disappearance and pleads with her kidnappers: “Tell us where to look for her.”
The video released Monday is the latest public plea from the journalist about 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie since her disappearance on Feb. 1 from her home just outside Tucson, Arizona. Savannah Guthrie said her family will never stop looking for her.
“The world can be a cruel and unforgiving place, and I know that you have tried to do things the right way,” she said. “So I’m asking you, begging you, to do the right thing now. Make the right choice. Help us find her. Tell us where to look for her. I truly believe it is never too late to do the right thing.”
Authorities believe Nancy Guthrie was kidnapped, abducted or otherwise taken against her will on Feb. 1. They found blood near the front doorstep of her home just outside Tucson, and the FBI later released surveillance videos showing a masked man on the porch that night.
Volunteers and search teams scoured the nearby desert terrain filled with cactuses, bushes and boulders in the weeks after she vanished. A volunteer group recently searched for her body near the Arizona-Mexico border. Authorities have not said how many purported ransom demands were made after Guthrie’s disappearance, though three news organizations reported receiving such notes and turned them over to investigators.
The FBI has discounted some of the ransom notes as nothing more than extortion attempts, but said it’s still evaluating others that might be legitimate. The federal agency hasn’t specified which ransom notes might be genuine.
Savannah Guthrie has previously made a series of social media postings about her mother after she went missing. In the days after the disappearance, Savannah Guthrie and her siblings acknowledged they were aware of media reports of a supposed ransom letter and were ready to talk and listen, but wanted proof their mother was alive. Weeks later, Savannah Guthrie said her family was offering a $1 million reward for information leading to the recovery of her mother. She also acknowledged for the first time that her mother might not be alive, but added that there was still hope.

Recent Headlines

3 days ago in Lifestyle, Trending

Winning ticket for $1 billion Powerball jackpot was sold in Illinois

A Powerball ticket sold at a gas station in western Illinois was the sole winner of the $1 billion jackpot, ending a three-month drought without a top-prize victor.

4 days ago in Entertainment, Music

Marc Anthony, Chayanne and more to play benefit concert for Venezuela and Colombia earthquake relief

Latin music stars Marc Anthony, Luis Fonsi, Chayanne, Feid, Jay Wheeler and many more will perform at an international benefit concert livestreamed from Miami on Sunday to raise money for those impacted by devastating earthquakes in Venezuela and Colombia.

5 days ago in National, Trending

Looking to see the solar eclipse from North America? Here’s where and when to catch a sliver

Sorry, North America. After winning the cosmic lottery with a pair of coast-to-coast total solar eclipses, now it's Europe's turn. But look skyward anyway Wednesday and, if you're far enough north in the U.S. and Canada, you might savor a partial eclipse as the moon nibbles away at the sun.

5 days ago in Entertainment, Music

Sir Rod Stewart calls off remaining tour dates after coronary stent procedure

Sir Rod Stewart will be unable to continue his "One Last Time" farewell tour following a coronary stent procedure and after postponing and canceling a few performances, a representative for the singer has confirmed.

6 days ago in Entertainment, Music

YouTube sensation Ms. Rachel announces debut album with Mr. Aron, ‘I’m So Happy’

Parents of toddlers everywhere, prepare yourselves. YouTube sensation and music teacher Ms. Rachel and her husband, Aron Accurso, will release their debut album, the 23-track "I'm So Happy," on Sept. 25.