News

Project official: Ithaca Commons rebuild will wrap up in early 2015

Project official: Ithaca Commons rebuild will wrap up in early 2015

Photo: WHCU

Ithaca’s two-year re-build of the Commons is going to last into a third year.

Project Manager Michael Kuo says because of a number of factors, they’ll have to finish up parts of the project in early 2015.

NYSEG crews struggled with infrastructure work, and the June 20th truck crash at Simeon’s Restaurant also delayed some of the work there.

Costs have also continued to rise for the Commons rebuild, as the city approved up to $4 million in extra spending earlier this year, when bids for work came in over-budget.

“We were able to do a little bit of reallocation and get some of the elements back into the project, like the gateway arches and the playground,” Kuo said. “Now, my funding authorizations are somewhere north of $15 million, and I have enough money to get the job done.”

Kuo says work early next year will include planting, putting in a glass canopy for the new Bernie Milton Pavilion, and a water feature that he hopes will be added at the end.

“There were certain elements that, regardless of the impact of NYSEG and Simeon’s, were going to happen in 2015, just because it was the right thing to do for those elements of the project,” Kuo said.

Recent Headlines

in Music

Slipknot bassist released from hospital

slipknot

Alessandro Venturella was reportedly treated for dehydration.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: When a giant crane lands on your house

24-overlay2

Two construction cranes and a portion of a bridge being replaced in the Netherlands came crashing down, landing on nearby homes.

in Weird

The $2,500 chicken leg

hen

This chicken leg isn't for eating.

in Music

Slipknot bassist hospitalized during gig

slipknot

The band stopped their show on Sunday after Alessandro Venturella suffered a medical emergency and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

in Music

Judge dismisses Kurt Cobain death scene photos case

francesbeancobain

A judge in Seattle has dismissed efforts by a TV host to release photographs of Kurt Cobain's death scene.